Monday, April 6, 2009

For Granny!

Last week, I wrote Staging Your House On Pennies. The first suggestions were particularly low-cost (or free)--lots of cleaning, organizing and de-cluttering. Today’s tip:


Updating hardware and accessories--I’ve always admired Restoration Hardware’s bath collections. The Hubby and I had a 1930’s house, so I wanted to take the bathroom to the period of the house. In doing so, I used their sconces, accordian mirror, medicine cabinet, train rack, shower curtain and bath mat. Knowing that the bathroom had to be redone, and not wanting to spend a lot of money on this process, I went through Restoration's catalog with a fine-toothed comb to familiarized myself with all their different bath collections. I then called their outlet stores from my dining room in Nashville, and explained to the sales associates that the vintage look was what I was hoping to achieve. The associates were all very helpful in explaining to me what they had in stock that was very similar to the collections that I was looking for. Note, their outlet store is where they ship items that are being discontinued, or items that may have a scratch or two like my recessed medicine cabinet. End result, I did mix two very similar styles but kept everything in the same finish (polished chrome), and achieved the look I was going for without having to spend a lot of money in the process. I was just at their outlet store this past Friday taking notes on what they had. I have the feeling that I will be doing this drill again, here very soon. How’s that, Granny?



I miss my accordian mirror!

No comments: