Monday, February 8, 2010

How Do You Organize Your Books?


Here I have my travel, self help, old college books (I was a Political Science Major, Hubby was Finance), travel guides, antiquing, and finding a job of my dreams types of books. And yes, we're big fans of Harry Potter !


My books are the one thing that I cannot live without! I keep everything, and not just the expensive decorating books, but my old college books, paperbacks, travel. etc. You name it, I keep them! I still have the first Let's Go Europe book that Hubby and I used on our first trip to Europe. It's quite funny to look back at some of our old notes. Another thing is that when I loan books out, I'm not a very happy camper when they don't get returned! Just last year when I loaned Sandy, our old Bohemian neighbor in Nashville, several books and she forgot to return them. In fact, I don't even think she ever read them! But that's OK, because she gave me all her old back issues of Martha Stewart Living . I had pitched my collection some time ago when we moved to Charleston. I do tend to pitch magazines collections but only when we move. I hate to do it but they can get mighty heavy!


Our night time reading...I'm currently reading The Help.
.
Really, the whole reason why I'm even blogging about this is the last couple of years I've seen some people sorting their books according to their color spine. I did try that and it just did not work for me. I have found what works best for me is to have my book sorted according to self-help, travel, entertaining, gardening, you-name-it, and in different areas of my house! Hint, my self help books (Men are from Mars Women are from Venus ) are upstairs. I believe my buddy Cruella gave me that book, which is odd in and of itself because we usually get each other expensive decorating books, not self-help! In fact, I'll give Cruella a decorating book for a gift just so she doesn't have to borrow any of mine. Well...She does the same thing!

Of course my entertaining books with a few cookbooks thrown in, mostly Ina's.


Last but not least, my decorating books, which I have stacked throughout my house...here they are used to stack Hubby's bourbon. Also, I have several in my Man Cave (see Decorating A Man Cave) but Hubby doesn't mind!


I've shown you mine...your turn! How do you like to organize your books?



2 comments:

Heather said...

What a fun question! I love books. I have my fiction organized by author's last name in alphabetical order. Then I have a non-fiction area. I keep religion/philosophy together and the rest of that section is sort of a mish mash. I have many more fiction books than I do non-fiction. If I don't think I will ever want to read a book again, then I will give it away or swap it at paperbackswap.com.

Lisa D. said...

Hi Heather:

That is incredible...fiction & nonfiction, plus author's last name in alphabetical order! You sound very organized, indeed. And thank you for the paperbackswap tip.