Thursday, October 15, 2009

Cooking For DAWGS!

OK I'll admit it, I cook for my dawgs, nothing to fancy though. Lets see, one night it maybe brown rice (after all, it is better for you than white rice) simmered with a chicken bouillon cube. The following night, it may be scrambled eggs with a little cheddar cheese mixed in. Or perhaps one evening it could be a little turkey bacon mixed in with their Kibbles & Bits or Gravy Train - (depending what's on special). Some would say that Rolle and Ellie are spoiled little dawgs! Like their Mamere (my Mother-in-law), whom one night had to cook them rice, and was not the least bit happy about it! I didn't bother further requesting that she cook the rice with chicken stock!

Now my oldest, Rolle, the basset hound, even knows the word pizza. The reason behind this is when his dad was off traveling for work, I would ask Rolle if he wanted to order a pizza. Naturally, his answer was always yes! So off he would go, to sit and wait in the foyer for the pizza man to deliver a nice size box filled with everything to his likening, plus there was no daddy around to hog it all!



Image from Great Settings - One of my favorite entertaining books!

What's really bad is that my youngest, Ellie, who will spit out dog biscuits given to her by the bank teller and dry cleaning people. So I have to politely say that she is still full from her breakfast and I make her thank them profusedly! After we drive off I scorn her and remind her how grateful she should be! Now for both Rolle and Ellie, if the hubby and I decide to go out for dinner for the evening, both of them prefer to wait to eat their dinner (even though they have already been fed) until the Hubby and I have return home to see where we went, and if there are any leftovers! Was it The Fickle Pickle for yummy bacon cheeseburgers or those pitiful Thai and Mexican restaurants that we hate! MSG, and chips and salsa are not in our diet.

The other day I was poking around the Junior League Of Atlanta cookbook (CookNotes) and came across this recipes for dog crackers. Not that I've started any real planning or anything for the holidays. But I thought that this could be something that we could all (Rolle, Ellie, & Hubby) make together and pass out to the neighborhood dawgs for the holidays. I attempted this a couple of years ago but only got as far making cookies for humans, and their poor dawg friends got stuck with store bought biscuits! Just like the ones Ellie spits out!

Dawg Crackers

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rye flour
1 cup corn meal
2 cups cracked wheat
1/2 cup dry milk
4 teaspoons salt
1 1/4 ounces package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 pint chicken stock
1 egg
1 tablespoon milk

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. In a large, bowl, combine flours, corn meal, cracked wheat, and salt. Combine yeast and water; add to dry ingredients along with stock. Beat egg and milk. add to other ingredients. Turn mixture onto a floured surface, and knead three minutes. Dough will be very stiff. Roll out to a one quarter-inch thickness. Cut dough with cookie cutters. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet for 45 minutes. Turn off heat and dry crackers in oven overnight. Store in an airtight container.

No comments: