Monday, August 26, 2013

Containing our Clutter

I was watching The Today Show this morning and caught  a few minutes of Brooke Shields (who's co-hosting this week) she revealed that she finds zen at The Container Store. This caught my full attention, as I can relate about the zen part at the Container.  The boxes the staff later brought out looked liked a few of the boxes that  I just bought last Monday. I'm definitely not a type A person but containing our stuff  is something that I've only been trying to do for years now.  




From 2002 to now  Hubby and I have moved  a mere ten times. With each and every move, I would pitch more and more.  When we sold our first house in 2002 I had a massive garage sale.  Unfortunately, this is when I made the mistake and made Hubby get rid of his huge album collection. Since turntables tend to be a trending now, I offered to buy him one for Christmas last year. He wanted no part of it because I made him get rid of his prize Led Zeppelin collection.  

Last Thursday evening, as I was planning out my Friday, it went  sort of like this -  go to work, hit the paint store, go home, go for a jog, empty closet. Trying to empty our filled-to-the-brim closets and getting organized was crucial!  I had guys coming first thing this morning, to start my ceiling smoothing process and I didn't want a mess on our stuff.  So I panicked Friday and stayed home from work, thinking to myself, this won't take long, I'm pretty organized.   I'll be able to clear out my office, Hubby's office, guest room, and gather up all the books thrown  in linen closets.  Plus, I can hit the paint store all before Friday afternoon traffic.






Will it didn't exactly happen that way!  Since the beginning of the year I've been going through my office.  Finally last week I broke down and bought a filing cabinet.  Unfortunately, since I receive almost every design magazine out there, I finally had to say goodbye to my old Southern Accents.  Trust me,  I had a hard time letting them go.  Of course, before pitching them, I had to to poke through each one just to make sure I didn't miss anything. After spending most of the afternoon browsing through them, half the day was shot.  But, you know what? I found a few things in one house I'll post tomorrow if I can find my scanner.    





Anyway, as I made my way to Hubby's office feeling so great, having just trimmed twenty years away worth of  old bank statement and such, and as I started to  empty out Hubby's closet, I found  a box which I thought was suppose to be his old  boy scout stuff.  Hmmm he had been holding out on me.  Our 90's tax returns and his old bank statements from college were thrown in the box. Needless to say, I was not very happy with Hubby.  After all, I had already returned the shredder back to work.  As I counted his huge tape collection, not wanting to make the same mistake that I had with his albums, I took inventory of how many old vintage steamer trunks  and suitcases I would need to store all his stuff.   Too bad, a few months ago I had my hands on this one above one but  missed out.   But you know what?  I'll find him a couple of goods ones, you wait and see!






No comments: