Tuesday, October 30, 2007

English Style Continued!

All pictures Southern Accents


Yesterday, I had mentioned how the English style is prevalent here in the South. This morning, I was going through my archives of Southern Accents looking for information on Louisville and came across this article from last year--the May-June 2006 issue. This brought back memories, as soon as I read this article last year; I tore the dining room pictures out in hopes of creating that look someday! I then immediately ordered the Damask (the St Antoine) wallpaper samples from Farrow-Ball. With my existing color scheme, I was always torn between doing the green or gold. Needless to say, we have moved since I was plotting this and my current dining room has been put on hold. So this will stay in my file of dining rooms I love!

Came out of my files as you can see!



Back to the English style, to me, this is a perfect example of that inviting English touch in the South. Plus the house, actually it’s a plantation, (White Hall Plantation) located in one of my favorite places, the Low Country of South Carolina.


Southern Accents


Also, I wanted to let you know that the other day I was talking to Cruella and she had told me she was holding the new Victoria magazine in her hand. I thought this was just a rumor, but sure enough she has a copy in her hand. I have not seen the issue yet. I did however look them up on the Internet. Sure enough, there they were. I discovered Victorian Magazine in 2000 when I first started my endeavor in the antiquing world and found they always had interesting articles on charming cities-- London, Savannah, Charleston, Santa Fe, to name a few. What’s more, they published features on designers such as Charlotte Moss, Myra Hoefer etc. Aditionally, they ran articles on antiques, suggested great shops, gave entertaining ideas, and wrote articles on women entrepreneurs. And of course, there was the calling cards section, which I always loved.



At end of the magazine, they would feature a spot on Collecting. Since I am talking about creating that cozy, inviting English look. One collecting article that was written in 2001 that I would like to share with you is on shop owner Debbie Weitz, owner of B.D. Jeffries. When I think of great English things, her shop always comes first to my mind. Who else would have such a great collection of Tartan!




Picture from Victoria 2001

No comments: