Thursday, October 18, 2007

Farm Fresh!






























I just came from the Nashville Farmers Market where I naturally loaded up on lots of pumpkins, gourds, apples, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, eggplant, and, of course, squash. Since I’m fully stocked with lots of yellow squash I thought I would do my mother-in-law’s squash casserole this weekend. Truth be told, I believe it’s from a great little Southern restaurant in Roswell, GA.





Squash Casserole
2 medium onions, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
1-¼ cups butter
1-½ cups of pecans
1-teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 teaspoon of white pepper
1 teaspoon of Tabasco sauce
Dash of cayenne pepper
4 Eggs
2 pounds yellow squash

Blanch squash in boiling water. Slice and mash. Set aside. Sauté onions and peppers in ¼ cups of the butter. Add garlic. Cook another two minutes. Return squash to Dutch oven. Add ½ cup butter, 1 cup cheese, eggs, and onions/peppers/garlic mixture, 1 cup chopped pecans and spices. Cook until cheese melts add ingredients are blended. Pour into casserole dish. Mix breadcrumbs, remaining cheese and pecan and pour on top squash. Dot with remaining butter. Bake at 350 degrees for ¾ to 1 hour. Enjoy!



I just received my November issue Of House Beautiful and I spotted an article on Myra Hoefer and her new store. Reading about her store and gazing at the picture made me wish I could astro-project there and buy her out. As a result, I thought, since I’ve been talking quite a bit about shops and recipes, that I would share with you my recipe for a good shop… next week!


No comments: