Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The Journey Of The Confit!

The French Confit Jar



A few days ago my buddy Cruella was asking me about French confit jars and why they’re so incredible expensive. So I thought after giving my observation of antique dealers yesterday that I would explain to you the position of a confit jar in the antiques food chain. It starts in the far, far, countryside of Northern England where the antique fairs are held and where the English, Irish, Italians, Germans, French, Japanese and Americans all gather to do their trading (all holding their bible—Veranda.

Note that before the confit jar is even spotted, the seller, he could be English or French, knows he has something you want (after all, he has the same bible, too), and he will gladly remind you of that if you ask for a better deal! Since the confit jar has appeared in publication that means the confit is sought after, so it already comes with a nice price tag. Knowing this, and wanting to get a few confit jars home, I naturally hand over my money. However, if a handle is broken they do cut you a small price break.




My discount Confit Jar

After leaving the great countryside of the U.K., the confit lands at the shipping dock where customs would like some money for allowing me the luxury of letting my stuff float on their water. After it clears customs, my shippers pick it up and bring it to my place of residence. It depends on where I’m living at that point as to how much it will cost me to get my confit jar home. After writing my shipper a big fat check, it is now part of my stock. Here I add a wee bit to the price to cover my pints, coffee, rain gear etc. Then the confit is off to the market to be seen by shop owners, designers, and a few browsing retail customers! All this time I pray that it does not break!



After confit is sold at the American market, confit makes it to its final destination, a quaint little antiques shop on King Street (Charleston). To be perched on a chest so that the tourists will have something to admire. Here a much much bigger markup is added to the cost of confit to pay the eagerly awaiting landlord. Boom—confit jar is now $400.00.





My confit with both handles


If you don't have time to travel to the far, far, country side and if you would like a confit jar then you should check out Ann Flaire Antiques - 996 Huff Road Atlanta, GA. 404-352-1960. Sorry no web site. Ann is stocked full of wonderful French things! Even if you would just like to practice your French - Ann is delightful!

No comments: