Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Best Tomato Pie Ever!

At the beginning of the year, having just returned to the Atlanta area, and having discovered that I always prefer blogging over job searching, my plan was to really put all my time, energy and might into my blog. Let’s see, here's what I was going to do:

Monday “Kicking the Week off Right & Getting Organized”
Tuesday –
How about
“Down with Some Serious Decorating”
Wednesday
-Hump day...time for something fun such as,“Girl Stuff
Thursday of course was going to be getting ready for the weekend. You know "Happenings Around the South". A few places that I’ve been (still have yet to talk about the Hermitage home with all its original wallpaper). Where does the time go?
With leaving Friday as you guessed it, the weekend and time for “Recipes & Entertaining Day” So here you go.

Image from Carolyne Roehm Summer Notebook

. . .

Tomato season is in full swing and I wanted to share with you this great tomato pie recipe that the hubby has been making this past summer. It's from Ms. Paula Deen! Who probably happens to be the next biggest butter lover then Ms. Childs herself!


Ingredients
4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
1 cup grated mozzarella
1 cup grated cheddar
1 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper


Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
To serve, cut into slices and serve warm




Thanks Ms. Deen!

3 comments:

GrannySmithGreen said...

Can't seem to find your email, so this will have to work. By the way, tomato pie--yum!

The area I'll primarily be in is 30327. Does this help? I am somewhat familiar with the Howell Mill area too--Ballards etc. Please let me know your favorites. I'll certainly try to make a stop. I just wish I had more time so we could meet!

Lisa D. said...

Ok Granny:
It looks like your going to be inside the Perimeter over around the Vinnings area. One of my favorite shops is in that area of town and a lot of people don’t know about this shop! Antiques of Vinnings, located in the Vinnigs Jubilee. They have a very nice English mix, prices are not too bad. For Sat or Sun. brunch or even dinner, I would say Canoe. Located at 4199 Paces Ferry Rd. Also, I don’t know if you’re traveling with your hubby (not really a man’s place) but Swan Coach House for lunch. A classic women’s lunch spot! The Atlanta History Museum is over that way, so it may be a way of getting him there. Since you’re inside the Perimeter try Antiques & Beyond which is located at 1853 Cheshire Bridge Road. Also 14th St Antique Mall which is pretty much across from IKEA. Hope this helps a little and perhaps next time!

Happy Shopping!

P.S. It’s raining very hard here so bring your umbrella! Hope this message finds you!!

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe
﹌﹌﹌﹌﹌